Electrical repairs – how simple they can be yet how dangerous they are if left unattended
When you think about it, accidents and fatalities happen more often in the home rather than on the road, in the sea or in the air. The very place you think is a safe haven might not be as safe as you think it is. Your electrical wiring can be a secret hazard that you are not aware of and neglecting it might be a mistake you don’t want to make.
Nowadays we are also keen on doing home improvements, repairs can be a bit costly, and so we chose more often than not to do it ourselves. But more often than not we choose to ignore repair works until absolutely necessary or when it becomes a hindrance to our day to day activities.
A good example is electrical repairs, more often than not homeowners’ neglect many electrical repairs. Even the simplest ones, like placing electrical tapes on exposed wiring are ignored until we get an electric shock or it sparks in front of you. Now if you’re not very adept at taking care of small electrical problems it might even be wise for you to hire an electrician, it might be a little costly but it will be much worth it when you prevent fires and deaths in the family.
But there are very simple electrical repairs that you can actually do for yourself, and you only need basic know-how in order to so, here are some tips to get you started.
Make sure that your state allows you to do electrical repairs without permits. If it does then you can go ahead and repair your electrical system. But should your state requires you to get a permit, then you should get a permit to do so first before going through with any repair.
When you start with your repair, you should make sure that the electrical power is turned off at the circuit breaker, turning off the switch is not enough. You should turn the power off at the circuit breaker or you risk getting shocked or worse, electrocuted since the socket will remain live.
Never work on any electrical appliance when your feet are touching water or a damp floor, this will put you at risk for getting an electric shock. If you are working on the bathroom or near any place that might have water on it, then you should stand on a rubber mat. The mat will serve as an insulator and will minimize the risk, rather than standing directly on the floor. You should also make sure that you are wearing dry clothes as well. Remember that water conducts electricity and you risk getting an electric shock if you are wet or standing on a wet floor.
You should also test your work once you’re done. Turn the circuit breaker back on and use a voltage tester to check if the appropriate amount of power is running depending on your appliance.
Basic electrical repairs can be done by yourself without the aid of an electrician. But if you are in doubt you should always consult a professional. Making sure that your electrical circuits in your house are sound will help keep you and your family safe inside your house. And this also ensures that your house will remain standing for a long time to come.
If you are looking for help for any electrical problems, Vox has fully qualified and experienced electricians on hand to help you at home or in your business, call us today for more information.